Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer Produce Daydreams

I’ve been on the road for 36 days and counting, and I still have more than a week to go before I am back in my apartment again. I am having a fantastic time, between the exciting concerts that keep me on my toes, traveling to great cities and enjoying some excellent hotels along the way.  But I miss my kitchen terribly.

 

Yes, you heard me.  I am homesick for my cramped little Manhattan kitchen, the same one that often makes me feel like I’m cooking in a straightjacket with its limited storage and counter space.  But I miss it nonetheless.  While I love certainly exploring great restaurants in new places, sometimes I just need a home-cooked meal. 

I’m daydreaming about my favorite recipes that take advantage of the summer produce bounty, as well as a few other perennial favorites.  Until I can get home again, perhaps I can entice you to make some of these dishes in your own kitchens.  Happy cooking!

 


This Quick Zucchini and Mint Saute comes together on the stove in less than a minute.

But if you don’t mind a little heat in the kitchen, you can make a whole meal out of these Arugula-Stuffed Baked Potatoes.  They're also the perfect accompaniment to your next grilled steak.



Avocados are so good right now, and you can never have enough Smoky Guacamole in your life.  I also love featuring them in this Avocado and Grapefruit Salad.


I can make a meal out of this Minted Sweet Pea Mash, whether or not it’s served on toasted baguette slices.  I’ll happily eat the puree with a spoon or spread it on endive leaves.


If you’re not trying to cut down on my bread consumption, take advantage of peak season cherries with this addictive Summer Bread Salad with Cherries, Arugula and Goat Cheese.

 

I enjoy this colorful Purple Cabbage Slaw year-round, and it is a fresh addition to any summer picnic.


And because you deserve a little dessert after eating all your vegetables, treat yourself to Fresh Apricot Sorbet.  Enjoy!


No comments: